There is no doubt that the sun is beneficial for the health of children. It helps them to synthesize vitamin D, so important for bones; to correctly assimilate calcium and phosphorus, apart from providing them with the ideal environment to play, swim, run ... and do whatever they want outdoors. Nevertheless, prolonged exposure of children to the sun could represent a danger especially for her delicate and tender skin.
The sun, always in its proper measure. Too much sun can cause burns, photosensitivity and dermatitis in the short term, as well as skin aging, cataracts, immune disorders and cancer, in the long term. Considering that Most of the sun exposure is concentrated in the first 18 years of a person, prevention is key to avoid possible tumors.
The Spanish Association of Primary Care Pediatrics (AEPap) and the Spanish Society of Extra-hospital Pediatrics and Primary Care (SEPEAP) affirm that for years, the mortality rate from melanoma has increased. On hot days, as prevention, they recommend:
1. Avoid excessive sun exposure and set an example for children with proper habits.
2. Protect the head, body and eyes with caps, t-shirts and sunglasses.
3. Try to be in the shade from twelve noon to five in the afternoon.
4. Always apply cream with a sun protection factor 30 or more ato, extend it 30 minutes before being in the sun and reapply it every 2 or 3 hours, after sweating a lot or after bathing.
5. Infants under six months They should not be exposed to direct sunlight.
You can read more articles similar to Prevention of skin cancer in children, in the Cancer category on site.